BRINK Fitness

BRINK Fitness
"Taking fitness to the very edge."

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Becoming Vegetarian or Vegan

          Over the past several weeks I have been looking into becoming vegetarian or vegan and contemplating whether either is more beneficial to my health and wellness in comparison to my current carnivorous diet. I have always included meat, fish and dairy into almost all of my meals, however over the past several months I have become more and more conscious on a foods' reaction on my body. I alike it to those trying to identify a potential food allergy; eating basic and mild foods and then gradually adding in simple carbohydrates, dairy, meat, etc. and recording any reaction, whether extensive or mild, that they may have. The first of November I started a food journal, which I highly recommend, recording not only what I eat and drink, but also how I feel after each meal. I've continued the journal over the past six weeks, which seems like quite a long period of time, because I am aware that there are so many factors that determine how one feels throughout the day: stress, lack of sleep, lack of or extensive exercise, illness and even the weather to name a few. Therefore, I had to keep a journal to unequivocally determine that the inclusion of meat and dairy in my diet was increasing my weight, stomach discomfort and sleeplessness, while decreasing my energy and general feeling of health and wellness. So, on paper, it seems to be a no-brainer, become vegan. However, such a decision, it appears, is not so easy. Not only is it challenging to leave meat, seafood and dairy off one's plate in a society where meat and potatoes are King, and when over the past thirty-one years animal protein has been the main base to all of my meals, but I am also questioning the health benefits of being vegan. Will I be able to maintain a healthy intake of proteins, fats, carbohydrates in addition to essential vitamins and minerals?
          I found an excellent online scientific journal article, A Scientific Review of the Reported Effects of Vegan Nutrition on the occurence and Prevalence of Cancer and Cardiovascular Disease, in Bioscience Horizons that provides a detailed explanation, on a scientific level, the benefits and challenges of maintaining a vegan diet. With both cancer and heart disease somewhat prevalent in my family, I am definitely more inclined to pursue a vegan diet. I encourage anyone who is debating about becoming vegetarian or vegan to read this article and to also begin a food journal of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment